Wednesday 10 November 2010

Social Democrat? Liberal?

I'm in the midst of a great dilemma. With six months already behind it the coalition shows no signs of collapsing yet. The first major flashpoint between the partners, and within the Lib Dems is the issue of Tuition Fees. Haunted by photos of themselves signing pledges presented to them by the National Union of Students, promising to campaigning against a further increase in fees, its decision time for many Lib Dem MPs. Will they support a package which includes raising the cap on fees to £6,000 (and £9,000 in some cases but with conditions attached)? Several Lib Dem backbenchers, like the MP for Manchester Withington John Leech, have spoken out promising to stick to their pre-election pledges to vote against fee increases.

This issue, amongst a number of others have raised a very important question for yours truly. Yes, I am a Lib Dem but which wing of the party am I on? Am I a Social Democrat or an Orange Book liberal? There are elements of the two traditions that I can see the merits in. Is it possible to be both?

Broadly, I would consider myself a Social Democrat. However, certain ideas strike me as being very sensible that could be considered as being on the centre-right. Over the next few posts I hope to explore this question in depth, and hopefully I will find a clear answer?

For my two cents, on the issue of funding for higher education, I believe the choice is very, very simple. Either we have tuition fees, the only sustainable way of financing universities, or we go back to making university free, that is paid for solely by the tax payer but have less people go to university. I don't believe that the builder of today should pay for the banker of tomorrow (dismissing the argument that an individual's university education benefits society).

Political orthodoxies are being turned on their head and have been since the dawn of New Labour. Therefore characterising oneself on the classical political spectrum is much harder than it once was. The economic situation aside, the principle of consensual government is one I find extremely appealing, as I suspect many others do too. Let's see if this view still holds in two or three years time, when the effects of the government's spending cuts are clearer to see.

CtF

No comments:

Post a Comment